Monday, May 5, 2008

The Pricelss Quarter

Once upon a time, there was a girl (me) who loved a movie very, very much (Anne of Green Gables). I referenced the movie a lot. I could relate to the main character Ann with an 'e'. Never having a bosom friend, looking for kindred spirits, and a flair for the dramatics, and a penchant for the spoken word. My friends will tell you the last part definitely rings true (Carol, Julie, Tina, Patti, lol)

My in-laws, nay, my parents, know how much I love Anne of Green Gables. They'd travel to Canada from Philadelphia quite often. And, of course To Prince Edward Island, the setting for Anne of Green Gables.

What does this have to do with a priceless quarter, you ask? Well, be patient, I'm getting there! lol


Dad came down the latter part of last week to Texas for James' Confirmation (and 14th bday on the same day!). This visit was bittersweet. While I was chomping at the bit to see Dad, (this was the first visit since Mom's funeral), it was the first visit without Mom. Mom, who I would sit and talk with while dad and George watched the games on tv. Mom, who I'd talk to about absolutely nothing, But, that nothing meant everything to me. Now, Dad is showing us some postcards he brought George (hockey ones from Canada) and along with the postcards, I notice he has a coin to show us.

This is not an unusual occurrence as Dad is an avid coin and stamp collector. I have even commented to
Dad that if someone told me when I was younger that I'd be into stamps and coins, I'd of said they were craaaaazy! But, when we went up for Mom's funeral, I found myself connecting with Dad in a whole new way. Sure, I'd always listened to him talk about stamps and coins, but for some reason, now, I was more interested. It wasn't as if I'd faked interest in them before (I hadn't). But some switch flicked on and all of a sudden, the coins became more interesting (the stamps too) and little by little, Dad has been sharing more about stamps and coins.

So, Dad had this coin in his hand that I thought he was just going to show us and of course I'd see all the cool stuff on it and give it back. That however, wasn't the case. Dad handed me the coin. It was inserted into a postcard. And, on the front of the coin, in color, was Anne from Anne of Green Gables! And the postcard reference the movie and all about Anne (or as much as you can fit on a postcard!) Yes, the coin is worth $.25. But that coin might as well be worth a gazillion dollars. My Dad. My Dad thought of me. He called the Canadian mint (or ordered it on their website). He made the effort because he knew how much I like Anne of Green Gables. My Dad, he loves me. My Dad is the greatest man I know. He's strong, and caring, and thoughtful. He's stoic, he's way smarter than I'll ever be. He is a man of great faith. He is a man of great love. He gave me my husband (as did Mom :)

So, while this weekend is now a bittersweet memory of the joy of my sons birthday and his confirmation and Dad's visit with the sting of the first visit without Mom, I know that everything is going to be all right. Like a Dad does, he makes everything better and while I still wish Mom was alive, I know that everything is going to be all right. And, when the bursts of grief hit, I'll just look at my priceless quarter and I'll be reminded of just how blessed I am. Blessed to have had Mom in my life for as long as I did, blessed to still have Dad, and blessed to have George and the kids. Wow, the power of a quarter, huh?

Blessings to you till we meet again.

Love,
Me



No comments: