Monday, April 25, 2011

My Wedding

Once upon a long, long, time ago, there was a show called Touched by an Angel.  There was an episode where a couple was getting married and it turned out they weren't allowed b/c when the blood test was done, it came back that one of them had a rare disease and was going to die.  They opted not to find out which one it was.  And, they got married in the forest by Della Reese.  As they are talking about getting married someone, I think it was Della said something to the effect of "you invited everyone to your wedding, but not God".  That stuck with me.  And, I decided then and there, that I wanted God at my wedding.

Fast forward years later.  George and I get married.  We picked the readings..no Corinthians thank you.  I thought the whole Love is patient, Love is kind, while beautiful was well over used.  We picked the songs...I want our processional to be Hallelujah Chorus.  I want the choir to sing (as I was a member of the choir).  I want the one choir guy to sing Ubi Caritas.  He sings it so beautifully.  Yes, I am aware that Miss so and so is the one who sings at weddings, but I would like him to do it please.  And most definitely, I was going to have a mass.

Now, while I am a cradle Catholic, at this point in my life, I was very young in my faith.  I didn't read the Bible.  Didn't pray all that much, but I did talk to God! lol  However, I knew that my husband to be had to be Catholic, like to read the bible with me (we would read the Song of Solomon), and have a Mass at the wedding.  Now, a little while later, I'm not exactly sure how long after the wedding, I realized that I had forgotten to invite God to my wedding.  I don't remember actually inviting Him with my words other than watching that one episode.  I can tell you how I was sad we didn't have a unity candle (church rules), how I didn't take flowers to Mary (I can't remember the reason why).  I can tell you how I was still irked the morning of my wedding from a snafu from the night before.  I can tell you how my veil was cathedral length and at communion Mema's heal accidentally got caught in the train and my head got pulled backwards.  She thought I would be upset, I was far from it, I thought it the funniest thing!  I could tell you about one of my favorite parts of the Mass was when George leaned over to me and asked "are we married yet?"  But, I don't remember inviting God.

At one point this year during lent, I was in my Mary's office talking with her and Della and somehow we were on the subject of songs and Della said how she loved Ubi Caritas.  I told her how I loved it and how it was played at our wedding.  This prompted me a few nights ago to dig up the program from my wedding almost 11 years ago.  Mind you, it wasn't hard to dig up, it's where all my important stuff is, in my bible box.  Now, Ubi Caritas is not sung in English, at least the one I know isn't and I decided to google it and look up the words.  I was surprised to find out that it is usually played at the washing of the feet during Holy Thursday one of my very favorites Masses of the year.  Second only to Good Friday (Easter Vigil is my third in case you were wondering lol).  Here are the words:

Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.
The first reading, was from Song of songs, then our Psalm was Psalm 34.  I went back and reread them too and thought how beautiful they were.  How years ago, I would never have had a favorite Psalm, now I love 139, 142 and a host of others.

What sparked me to share all of this with you?  Why share with you the events of my wedding from so long ago?  I will tell you, o questioning one.  At our wedding, it was commented to us by a friend of ours that they had never heard our opening song at a Catholic wedding before, but usually at a Baptist church.  I don't remember what my comment was.  Probably something how about how I just loved the song.  Which I did, and still do.  See, while my faith wasn't nearly anywhere it is today, God spoke to me in song.  I could find God anywhere and I still can.  I can see Him in my friends, in people who aren't exactly my friends.  I can see Him in my dreams, in clouds, in rain.  Anywhere.  So, while I had not officially invited God to my wedding, He knew how much I wanted Him to be a part of my marriage, and He came!  You can see it on the faces of my family members at the wedding.  You could hear it in the readings, and you could see it on my grooms face.  His was all I looked at as I walked down the isle.  God was there.  I watched a video of the song this evening.  It was one of the most amazing versions of the song I have ever heard and I wanted to share it with all of you.



And, while my faith and my marriage has grown, neither is perfect.  They are not perfect because I am not perfect.  What is perfect is God and His love for me.  And, for you.  So, while you think you are going throughout your day and you forgot to talk to God or to tell Him something.  Don't worry, He already knows.  Just talk to Him when you remember.  And, soon, you'll start remembering to talk to Him more and more.  He is just a heartbeat away.   Truly, How Great Thou Art!!!

Until Next Time,
Say a prayer for all those who are suffering.

Love,
Me

No comments: