Wednesday, August 31, 2011

True calling, the dentist and rocket science

I am a smart alec.  Big time.  For those of you who don't know me well, trust me.  And, one of these days, my mouth is going to get me into trouble and possibly get me fired.  So, you say "just keep your mouth shut".  Clearly, you don't know me then.  I talk all the time, and, I promise, it's not just to hear myself talk.  I missed my first calling as a back up singer, which I was totally born to do, and then I missed my true calling as a comedienne!  I love the sound of laughter.  I love, LOVE to make my friends laugh, even if it's at my own expense. I talk to friends about what's bugging them, I talk about my faith, and I talk about injustices.

I happen to like my job.  It's not rocket science (thank God for that! lol  All that math!  Makes me shudder!).  It's four hours a day, and it keeps me off the streets and mostly out of trouble.  However, there's a huge injustice going on there.  It's been going on for even longer than the three years I've been there.  Everyone knows about it, including the managers.  The manager can't do anything because the main hiring/firing person won't do anything about it.  This injustice happens because this coworker (can you call them a coworker if they don't work?) kept because of the color of their skin.  They do not work.  They do whatever they wish, when they wish.  This week, our psuedo assistant mgr told the mgr that the other workers are getting fed up with the situation and having to do our work plus the other persons and it's only week TWO!  She was told by Mr. Manager that if said person doesn't do what they're suppose to that the rest of us "will have to pick up said persons slack".  That did not go over well.

So, yesterday, my mouth was in full gear.  Truth be told, it was awesome! lol  We were doing the dishes and Mr. Manager comes over to help and I looked at him and said "don't worry, we got it, we're picking up the slack."  Not said meanly, but more comically.  He just waved me off.   I don't care what color you are, you could be any color under the sun or a combination of all the colors like the fruit stripped zebra, but if you can't do your job, you shouldn't be there.   What makes it worse is that we know that nothing can be or better yet, will be done to change the situation.  And, as I said, it's only week two!

I know I'm not suppose to judge.  All of us at work try daily not to complain about the situation.  Honestly, we do, but then something happens and BAM....We're right there with "did you just see that?"  What makes it worse is that we KNOW that if we acted the way this conotworker did, we would be written up then fired.  And, the others wouldn't have to pick up our slack.   So, we try our best not to complain and not to judge.  And, as I was stewing about the situation last night it occurred to me, what would we do if the employee was ever removed?  I mean, after the raging party where we all laughed cheered and had a party in the streets.  Who would we talk about?  What would we complain about?  Is it possible that it would be no one?  Now, I must stress to you that none of us at work are perfect.  Nope, not a one.  And, you put more than two women together, things can get a bit feisty.  Which I'd be okay with.  I'm thinkin though, that the torch and pitchforks we carry around we wouldn't need anymore.  Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful!

So, Jesus is all "love your neighbor as yourself".  Am I the only one out there who has trouble with this one?  First off, it took me years, eons, even to like myself.  Really like my quirkiness and embrace who I am let alone love myself.  How am I suppose to love my neighbor?  I don't even know who my neighbors are, well except for Cat and Patrick and I  just love them :D  Shout out to the Underwoods!!!!  I mean I see the neighbors to occasionally say hello too, but how am I suppose to love them, if I don't know them?  I mean, I don't wish ill will on them.  I don't wish anything bad to befall them.  So, here's my dilema.  I go to work everyday, knowing full well that at some point I'm gonna be irked, no matter how hard I work the 'don't fret' mantra.  I don't want to have to work with the injustice everyday, but I have too.  What's the alternative?  How would I feel if I were this conotworker that as a person is okay but as a conotworker no one can stand?  I cannot put myself in their shoes because I'm a worker.  I do what is needed to get the job done.  So, sometimes I take my own advice and pray for said conotworker.  It's easy to pray for the people you like, try doing it for the people you don't.  Maybe that's why conotworker is there.  To teach me patience and tolerance (isn't that why I have teenagers? lol) and not to judge.

Every dentist I've ever been to says "you have such a small mouth!"  And, I just chuckle.  I use my mouth to praise God and my family and friends.  I use my mouth to feed me (sometimes more than I should, but seriously, have you tried the pizza from Joe's Italian Bistro!?) and I use my mouth to judge and hurt others.  I know that's not what I'm suppose to do.  But, I am human, and I have some major failings.  Judging being one of them.  I called up my bff the other day and said "Hey, I read this on judging and it reminded me of us!" lol  "We need to work on our judging"  And, then I went to work and judged the conotworker.   There's a reason we are taught to *become* like Jesus.  That's because we are *not* Jesus.  I don't like being judge for how I look, my quirkiness, my weight, my hair color or my big mouth.  No one likes to be judge, that is of course, unless you're the winner!   Ever play Monopoly?  Whenever one of us got the card that said "you won second prize in a beauty contest" inevitably one of us siblings who didn't get the card would say "Yea, you were the only one that showed up!"  Funny, right?  Point is no one likes to be judged.  So, I will continue to show up everyday and work and try not to judge.  And, try and keep my mouth shut and not be fired.  After all, I really like the people I work with, sans, the conotworker.  We laugh and we have fun and get the job done.  And, after all, it's not rocket science (shuddering at the amount of math they have to know)

Until next time,
Pray for baby Lily who is getting baptized on Saturday
Love,
Me

No comments: