Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bills, Hillary Clinton, and Servants

Most of us, as little girls, were sold a bill of goods.  Scratch that, we weren't sold, we were given the bill.  Two of them in fact.  One, we were given a prince suit when we are little girls and told to find a guy and make it fit.  Squish him in there if you have too, but make it fit.  Second, being a mom is a glorious, wonderful time filled with Leave it to Beaver moments.  Good thing both bills were free or I would be requesting my money back!

I've hung out with too many frogs (my father as one) twisting, turning, and squishing them into the prince suit to realize, they were too small, or too big to fit the suit.  It took 30 years.  THIRTY YEARS before I married my prince.  The suit didn't fit, so I had one tailor made, by God. 

Now, this mom thing.  When I was little, I carried around baby dolls and played in my fake kitchen.  Among things I wanted to be when I was little (teacher, lawyer, chef) was a mom.  Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom...most days.  Here's what no one tells you...you ready?  It's HARD!  There's all the hoopla surrounding the delivery of your baby or child.  It doesn't matter whether the baby gets here sliding down the canal like a ride at a water park, c-section, or you adopted, you are now a mom.  All the congratulations,  no one tells you, it's HARD!  And here's what else they won't tell you, each stage they go through is harder than the next!

When my kids were little, I couldn't wait for them to hold the bottle themselves, walk, talk, sleep through the night.  Then, each milestone that passed, I was all "what was I thinking!"  I think the worst part when they get to be older teens and have their own visions for their life and not yours.  Being a mom is constantly banging your head against the wall.  Change spots often and it will look like an art piece vs a I can't do this anymore moment.

And now for a confession.  I am a failure as a mom.  Yea, yea, quit with the no you're nots.  Thanks, but not true.  I compare myself to everyone in everything!  My kid doesn't like to read, there's is reading three grade levels ahead!  Their kid keeps their room immaculate, I can't get my kid to pick up dog poop in his room!  DOG POOP!  You get where I'm going with this?  You know why their kids are better?  I'll tell you why.  They're not.  Somewhere, that kids mom is lamenting to their bff about something the kid isn't doing.  Hillary Clinton once said that it takes a village to raise a child.  Now, I'm not a fan of Hillary.  Never have been.  And, when I heard that, I was all "oh please!  That's the lazy persons way to parent!"  Now, I'm not saying Hillary was right.  But, I have a group of friends that I regularly go to for support for everything,  parenting is just one of them!  See, God puts people in my life at different times.  There's those whose kids are graduating college, just entering college, still in high school, still in grade school, and not even in preschool.  We all help each other out from 'it'll get better' to hugs, to 'man that's a hard one, we'll get through it together'.  The hardest thing is to find friends with a parenting style close to yours.  God sends those too :D

Currently, I'm dealing with an 18 year old who from my view has no direction (from his view he does); a 17 year old who is has her first boyfriend, and is starting to look at colleges, and an about to be 16 year old (in 16 days thankyouverymuch) dealing with everything.  While my kids are lovely, beautiful, smart, et al and I wouldn't trade them for the world, this s&)$ is HARD!  Let me tell you now, commercials lie!  Calgon doesn't take you away.  Herbal Essence doesn't have that side effect to me in the shower, and those coffee commercials, please, I've never been that awake to have that euphoric look on my face, I haven't had my coffee yet!

What isn't hard, is the love.  I love my kids and you love yours.  We are here to support each other.  We can do this!  And, in the words of one of my favorite songs (the servant song) 'We are pilgrims on a journey, we are travelers on a road, we are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load'.  "I will weep when you are weeping.  When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.  I will share your joy and sorrow till we see this journey through'.

Until next time,
Will you let me be your servant?  Let me be as Christ to you.  Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant too.

Love,
Me

No comments: