Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Humble Sock and other things....

I like ankle socks. No big deal. last week, I was getting ready for work and I put on my socks. The left sock kept falling down. So, I went to the laundry basket (Hey! Don't judge me. I didn't have time to finish the laundry) took of the left sock and put it in the basket (it was still clean!) and proceeded to look for another sock. Because I was running late, I rifled through the basket and grabbed the first one I saw and went off to work.

As I was walking into work, I realized, much to my displeasure, I grabbed the same sock I started out with. So, I complained to God "why did I grab the same sock! This is not going to be a good day. It's gonna keep falling down all day!" My answer came in the form of one word. "Humble." Yea, He wanted to remind me to be humble. So, as the day went on and I had to hike up my left sock, I remembered 'humble'. And, He was gracious enough to not have my sock fall down all day, only a couple of times!

Fast forward to yesterday. It's raining. I don't mind the rain. I actually love it when it's raining. I love walking in it. I love being inside with a cup of tea and a good book and a blanket. I just don't love driving in it. I have a good reason. About 14 years ago, I was driving in a torrential downpour. It was a white rain where you can't see anything in front of you but white. Even the tail lights in front of me disappeared. I hydroplaned and hit the median. Everyone was fine. So, there you have it, why I don't like driving in rain 101.

But I digress. I love the rain, however yesterday was not one of those days. I had to work. So, I got in the minivan and started it. It sounded weird. So, I restarted it. It sounded a little better. God was gracious enough to bless me with a tolerable amount of rain as I was driving. Then halfway to work my battery light came on. Great. So, I shut the radio off (it drains the battery or so I've been told) So, I said a prayer and made it to work okay. Then, as I'm walking into work, I realized I was wearing my humble sock. Dear Lord! I had to drive to work in the rain. With no radio. And my battery came on. I felt I was pretty humble! Apparently, that wasn't enough humbleness for the Lord and He wanted to remind me yet again. lol. (the car seems to be fine, I think something might have fell asleep on the battery. What? I don't even want to know).

Now. Today. Instead of a sock, the good Lord decided that He was going to use people to keep me humble. The day started out okay. But then there was a chicken incident at work. It sounds more exciting than it really is, I promise. I needed fried chicken for my line. There wasn't any. Confusion ensued. (Keep in mind, the chef is on vacation this week). Everything turned out okay in the end. We used grilled chicken. Granted, I had a few people who weren't happy ("I thought it was fried chicken today!) but it worked out. In the middle of the chicken incident, unbeknownst to me, I pissed a co worker off. Not my intention. Ever. Well, maybe once in a while, depending on the co worker, lol. But today it was not my intention. Especially, with this co worker. After the day is just about finished, I get called to the manager's office (she's the chef's boss, so ultimately my boss' boss). Yea, she wasn't happy. I don't think she's ever happy. There is no pleasing this woman. And, frankly, after four months, I think I have finally decided to stop trying.

Needless to say, the woman lacks tact and diplomacy. And a conscience, and a soul. lol. Okay, well maybe not a soul. All though some days, I'm thinkin' she plays for team lucifer. Which would make perfect sense. Last night I didn't want to go to my chrp meeting. I was so tired, I took a two hour nap. I still didn't feel like going. But, George reminded me I already missed one meeting. So I went. It was such a great evening. I'm so glad I went. God showed me quite a few times last night why I needed to be there. So, I was actually riding a God high. Yea, apparently, lucifer isn't a big fan of the God high. So, he sends his minions to attack me (yes, at this point I am comparing the manager to one of lucifers minions just in case you were wondering). But, when I left her office, aside from being mildly irritated, I decided it was yet another humbling experience for me.

Why I need to practice the art of humility is beyond me (that's probably why right there! lol). I don't think I'm boastful (except about my weight loss), I'm not conceited, I don't think I'm better than anyone else (maybe my manager, lol). But, for some reason, God decided this is the lesson I must learn as of late. So, if you see me acting prideful, feel free to smack me upside the head.

Until next time, I remain humbly yours.
Love,
Me

No comments: