Saturday, October 11, 2008

Psalm 23-My perspective

You know, I used to hate this Psalm. My mom had it in our kitchen growing up. It scared me. Because it mentioned death, I thought it was about death. It's so much more than that. And, as the year anniversary of mom's death looms on the horizon (I know...I have two more months yet) I can truly say that I have walked in the valley of the shadow of death and His rod and His staff brought me comfort.

The Lord is MY Shepard, I shall not want. ~ Well, I am human. After ten years, I still want a sleep number bed. But, it is a want, not a need. I think we all have wants.

He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. ~ This verse struck me today. He MAKES me lie down. He LEADS be beside QUIET waters. He knows when I need rest and He makes sure I do. Even if I have to get a cold or something to keep me in bed. There are times when I want to talk to my friends and no one is available and George is busy at work. There's no one to talk to. Sadly, that is one way I come to Him in prayer. It's His way of saying for me to come to HIM first. It is in the quiet that we hear Him.

He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. ~ For HIS name's sake. How cool is that? He restores MY soul. When I am feeling less than or alone or abandoned, or unhappy, or irritated, or nothing at all. He restores ME. That is just *so* awesome! Some days it is hard to wrap my head around.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. ~ Boy, do they ever comfort me. Something struck me today as I was reading this verse. His STAFF. The way it is spelled, I don't think it's a mistake. We all are a part of His staff. Doing His will. You, as His staff, have comforted me greatly in many ways. Not just in mom's passing either.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. ~ My cup definitely overflows. I can't say it any better than this poem:
I've never made a fortune, and it's probably too late now. But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow and I go along life's way, I'm reaping better than I sowed. I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed. Haven't got a lot of riches, and sometimes the going's tough but I've got loving ones all around me, and that makes me rich enough. I thank God for his blessings, and the mercies He's bestowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed. I remember times when things went wrong, my faith wore somewhat thin. But all at once the dark clouds broke, and the sun peeped through again. So Lord, help me not to gripe, about the tough rows I have hoed. I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed. If God gives me strength and courage, when the way grows steep and rough. I'll not ask for other blessings, I'm already blessed enough. And may I never be too busy, to help others bear their loads. Then I'll keep drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.


Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. ~ You've just got to love David. He's so confident. SURELY he says. Not hopefully. Not if I'm good. Not if I try harder. SURELY. How awesome is that? Surely goodness and love will follow us all the days of our lives and we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!

Until next time,
I look forward to dwelling forever with you. (What? you thought you'd escape me eventually? bwahahah!)
Love,
Me

No comments: