Monday, March 19, 2012

High Five

Hello Everybody (said in my best Brent from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs voice)!

Today is a big, big, big day (as Effie from the Hunger Games likes to say).  Today marks the halfway point for my boot camp!  One of the first things I said this morning when I walked in was "is it wrong that I missed my tire?"  By the end of the session, I said to my friend "the tire was a lot lighter in my head" lol  We did sandbags, medicine balls, and tires today.  We were on the roof with the wind and at one point light rain.  And, it wouldn't be boot camp if we didn't start out with running.  Something happened today.  While we're on the roof, others not in our boot camp came to run on the roof.  Then later, when we were finishing up on the ramp, other came on our ramp.  I found I was irked by this.  This is our roof.  Our ramp.  We've been here since 5:30 in the morning for weeks.  You just can't show up at 6am and do your little running or whatever it is you do.  It belongs to us.   The majority of them were men.  We were all women.  They're running and skipping on the roof.  We do the same with medicine balls and ropes! Clearly, their coaches are nothing like ours.  Our coaches, our roof, our ramp, yea, clearly I'm a little protective.  It's okay, my mama taught me to share.  I may not like it, but I'll share lol

By the end today I was soaked with sweat (which after all is only fat crying) and my right side felt like it was going to split in two.  But class was over and I did it.  When I feel class should be over (in my head) and Coach Steve says "now we're gonna do..." in my head I groan.  I cannot do anymore!  I'm exhausted.  But then, there I am doing whatever he says.  So I figure it has to be the last thing for the day.  Nope.  We do more, and even though I want to stop, my hamstrings are hurting/burning; even though my arms can't lift that high, I still lift, I still do whatever it is until the bitter end.  Why, you ask?  Because in the end, if I don't do it or do it only half way, then I'm only cheating myself.  Don't get me wrong, in my head I'm yelling "Dude, I can't go lower!  Dude, my knee was killing me when I woke up this morning!  Seriously, Coach, I cannot run or jump why oh why do you make me run/jump".  I think those things sometimes (not all the time, I promise!) but I never say them.  I don't say them out loud because in the end they're just excuses no matter how true they are.  No, I can't/don't like running.  But you know what?  Thanks to boot camp I can run half the roof faster than when I started.  And, my goal is to be able to run the whole roof by the last class.  Sure, my knee was hurting when I woke up this morning, but I still jumped.  It wasn't high as other people and it damn sure wasn't pretty, but I did it.  I didn't sign up for boot camp because it was easy.  I signed up to push myself.  Sure, I did it to help give me a push for the final weeks of the Fit & Fierce competition.  But I also did it for me.  And, if I don't do what is asked of me, again, then I'm just cheating myself.

My favorite part of boot camp, if we can have one, is the end.  It's my favorite part because I am soaked with sweat, I am sore and tired.  It's my favorite because I know that while the majority of Allen is asleep, I worked my butt off (it's getting smaller!).  It's a sense of pride and accomplishment.  So, here we are, week five and we are all still going strong.

Until next time,
Do something good for yourself today!  Like they say in Rent "No day but today"!

Love,
Me

No comments: