Monday, March 26, 2012

Seven down, five to go!

Today was week four, day 7 of boot camp.

I do a lot of praying at boot camp.   Of course it's a lot of 'Dear God I'm going to die', ' Dear God, please don't let me die',  'Dear God, this man is insane' and, Dear God, please let it be 6:30'. 

Today was the hardest for me in a while.  I started of running and I ran farther than normal before I had to speed walk (yay!) then I speed walked the entire roof.  I was thinking over the weekend about my goal to run the whole roof by the last day of boot camp and if I didn't start pacing myself, there was no way I was just gonna do it on the last day.  So, today I did the whole roof.  Then we got my favorite, the medicine ball.  I don't know why it's my favorite, there's just something about the pain that it brings, even days later, that I know I'm doing something right.

Then, we go downstairs to my tire and the ramp.  But then, we get the sandbags and rope.  We do lots and lots of stuff this morning.  At one point I'm like 'it HAS to be 6:15!' but it wasn't.  The great thing about 6:15 is I know we have only 15 minutes to go.  I worked my butt off this morning.  Thought I was gonna heave at least three times.  My face felt amazingly hot (hey Coach Angela, you probably could cook one of your eggs on my face! lol) and I thought I was gonna die.  At one point, Coach Steve asked if I was about to cry and I put my fingers up to indicate I was almost there lol. 

Along with the prayer today there was a lot of "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you" in my head directed at Coach Steve.  And, I even told him I hated him.  He just laughs and says "you'll love me at 6:30" which is true.  I actually love him the whole time.  How can I hate an evil genius who devises and plots dastardly ways to get me in shape for my own good? 

And, then there's everyone else.  We all have the same dedication to boot camp.  One girl (my burgh buddy) just ran a half marathon yesterday and showed up this morning!  Another one of my friends, this is her THIRD boot camp!  And I thought I was insane!  And, at one point today, when I thought I was going to die, she said to me "think of your size 12's you just bought".   For those of you who live under a rock, or are not my friend on facebook, yesterday I bought a pair of size 12 jeans.  I screamed it from the rooftop all day yesterday.  This is huge because I was a size 16 when I started the fit & fierce competition 12 weeks ago.  AND, I haven't worn a 12 in over ten years!  I was so happy and I still am.

That's the great thing about boot camp, and the studio as well.  They are so encouraging.  It's not like going to a gym where you get on the treadmill and watch tv or read or even listen to music.  It's not like having a personal trainer work with you and pretend to push you.  Which I think is why in all the gyms I've joined in my life (3 or 4) nothing ever stuck.  Here, at the studio, there is no treadmill, no machines only you (and tires, and medicine balls, and ropes and a few weights).  The owners who are coaches (Coach Steve and Coach Teresa), and all the other Coaches genuinely care about each and every one of us.  AND, if that wasn't enough, the members care about each other.  The studio is it's own family.  It is one of the most amazing places I have ever been.  I have never felt so supported at a gym.  They push me to my limits and beyond.  They see what I can do, even when I can't.  I think having a 'I'm not gonna quit' attitude is it's own curse and a blessing.  Because they know I won't quit (no matter how much I want to), they push me and help me to become a better me.  Be it through Zumba, the fit & fierce competition, or boot camp.

It would be easy for me to say the fit & fierce competition is over, boot camp is over, I'm done.  It's just me and Zumba.  But why?  In twelve weeks, thanks to fit & fierce competition and 3 weeks of boot camp (almost done!) I have lost almost 20 pounds.  I have lost countless inches off my body (I'll let you know as soon as I find out), and I have lost TWO pants sizes.  I have changed my eating habits (not because I was made to, because I wanted to).  It would be silly for me not to continue.  So, I know for a fact I am going to do round 2 of the fit & fierce competition.  The next round of boot camp, I don't know yet.  I'm sure it would be beneficial and I could make a gazillion excuses (kid graduating, it's summer, etc).  but I haven't made any excuses so far, so why start now?  But, I think I'll play that one by ear.

My goal when we started the program 12 weeks ago?  I didn't have one?  Now?  My goal is to see how far I can go by my birthday in July.  Why not?  What have I got to lose?  It's just weight.  And, I have everything to gain.

If you can read this, I would love for you to come dance with me at Zumba, or come do one boot camp class with me!   Sure, your bed and couch are comfortable.  But one hour at the studio and you will feel amazing!

Until next time,
Please pray for the repose of the soul of my friend.  Her funeral is today.

Love,
Me

No comments: